Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The firm of Ziegler, Halpert, and Draper

There is a shocking moment when you settle into your first job. Chances are if you have high expectations for yourself, your first job is not your dream job. Far from it. Few people attend universities to become Xerox Sales Representatives or Clinique Counter Attendants. No, I think when you land that first job after school, chances are you still have some romantic notions of the job that was made for you, the job you deserve because you want it so badly. I myself had a grand idea of a career in media, eventually working as a Communications Director for a Senator or something like that. In hindsight, what I wanted was a role on the West Wing, but moving on…

To be frank, I didn’t see myself working as a recruiter. I never realized there were people who basically worked as professional middle men, but economic facts are a tough pill to swallow when you hit 25. All of a sudden, the content of a career can really become secondary to not having to use a credit card with your dad’s name on it, or being able to have health insurance that isn’t provided by an Obamacare law. There is a satisfaction that comes from providing for oneself, that on a good day can supersede the fact that you are one of the millions of Bachelors holding schmoes who are working nine to five.

You’ve probably also realized that nine to five is a myth perpetuated by baby boomers who actually worked those hours. Eight to six is what I’ve come to know. No one gets paid for their lunch hour, and if you want to get ahead and keep the threats of “paying for your desk” down to a manageable din, you’d better be on time and stay late. You don’t keep a handle of your favorite gin in your desk drawer because Mad Men is fiction. You don’t sit catty corner to the cute receptionist who everyone knows you’ll eventually marry. Chances are you’ll sit next to friendly people who you have to work to find commonality, and you’ll become work friends, a nice enough arrangement built on vague ideas of their personal lives and an encyclopedic knowledge of where they will and will not eat on lunch break.

What I’m thankful for amidst all this lukewarm grumbling is a chance to do something that’s redeeming. I’m not selling pharmaceuticals (read: pieces of my immortal soul), living off my parents, and my job involves getting people working and job needs filled. I think the romance of the dream job is easily lost, but more easily replaced with the realization that your job is not the best way to live a dream. It’s a sad part of the American mindset that whatever you make and whatever it says underneath your name on your business card is the largest part of you. I say this knowing full well that I spend more time in a cube in an Atlanta-adjacent office than anywhere else, but my time doesn’t make me the person I am. Your employer should count himself lucky to have the sum total of your thoughts, experiences, and insight for 40-50 hours a week. It’s the person you bring to that installed desk and phone headset that is important.

So drink the kool-aid for the people that pay you, but don’t get drunk. Get that job, show up, work hard, do what they want, but don’t slip into that scary place of not knowing who you are outside of your toll free number and company email. After all, Don Draper, Toby Ziegler, and Jim Halpert are just waiting for you on Netflix back at your 2BR 2BA slice of moderate maturity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment